Instructor Training



ORDIT was set up by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) to protect the public from substandard driving instructor training and unscrupulous business practices. … The DVSA only approve training from ORDIT organisations.

A competency based modular syllabus is used that meets with the regulation and standards required for the Official Register of Driving Instructor Trainers (ORDIT) preparation. In order to be on the ORDIT register you have to be an ADI (Approved Driving Instructor) for 12 months and pass the qualifying ORDIT test’ ..

Be Your Own Boss

Work the hours that you choose and be rewarded for your efforts. As a self-employed driving instructor, the hours you choose to work are completely up to you. Because you are your own boss, you also decide on the days you work, some instructors work at weekends and have a day off in the week, others never work at weekends preferring to spend time with their families.

Freedom of choice

Take your holidays whenever you choose and should you decide to take a day off it’s entirely up to you (you do need to give your pupils reasonable notice though). Self- employment gives a freedom seldom experienced when working for someone else. In this industry you can have the best of both worlds. Our franchised instructors will have the freedom to make their own decisions while receiving the full backing and support of the driving school. The amount you can earn will depend on the hours you choose to work of course.

ADI Qualification Guide

You must meet certain rules if you want to start qualifying to become an ADI. The process you have to follow will depend on your situation.

Train to become an ADI

There are many organisations that offer training to become an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI). There is no statutory scheme governing the training of driving instructors, but DVSA administers the voluntary Official Register of Driving Instructor Training (ORDIT). Kingsley Driving School is registered as an ORDIT training provider.
You can download a copy of the ORDIT terms and conditions (PDF, 101KB, 8 pages) that trainers agree to.

Start the Qualifying process

Driving instruction: the law

To legally charge anyone (either money or monies worth) for driving instruction in a car you must either:

  • be on the ADI register
  • have a trainee’s ‘licence to give instruction’ issued by the ADI Registrar

ADI Part 1 (Theory Test) explained

The approved driving instructor Part 1 test is a theory test. It’s the first of 3 tests you have to pass to qualify as an ADI.
You must have been accepted to start the qualifying process by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) before you book the ADI part 1 test. ADI Part 2 (Driving Test). You must pass the ADI part 1 test before you book the ADI part 2 test.

The test takes around one hour and includes an eyesight test, 5 vehicle safety questions and a 1hr test of your driving ability

ADI Part 3 (Instructional Ability)

The approved driving instructor (ADI) part 3 test is a test of your ability to instruct pupils. It’s the last of 3 tests you have to pass to qualify as an ADI.

The theory test is made up of a multiple choice part and a hazard perception part. You need to pass both parts to pass it.

Once you have passed the theory test you can then apply to take your practical driving test.

The approved driving instructor (ADI) part 2 test is a test of your driving ability. It’s the second of 3 tests you have to pass to qualify as an ADI.

Earn While You Train

A trainee licence:

helps you get experience instructing pupils allows you to get paid for giving instruction lasts for 6 months

You can apply for a trainee licence if you:

  • have passed your ADI part 1 test in the last 2 years
  • have passed the ADI part 2 test
  • have had at least 40 hours of training from a qualified ADI in providing drivinginstruction,
  • are eligible to take the ADI part 3 testRules for using a Trainee Badge
  • get the required amount of supervision or extra training while your licence is still valid
  • make sure your advertising doesn’t make it seem like you’re a fully qualified instructor


Where you work

Your trainee licence shows the name and address of your training establishment. You can only give instruction from there, so you can’t work independently, eg by setting up your own school.

click here First 5

Quick contact

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.